Beaverdale Veterinary Clinic in Cambridge, Ontario, is a full service veterinary hospital that provides comprehensive medical, surgical, and dental care for small animals. They offer quality, affordable care to help pet owners keep their beloved companions happy and healthy for as many years as possible.
Administering medicine to a pet can be very intimidating. If you have a cat that needs to be given a pill, for example, what is the best, safest and most effective way to do this?
The staff at Beaverdale Vet Clinic suggest you follow these steps:
1. You’ll be administering a pill straight into the cat’s mouth. It will happen very quickly, so first acquaint yourself with the following steps and motions.
2. With one hand – usually your left – stroke your cat’s head using the whole of your palm.
3. With this same hand, use your thumb and forefinger to gently pull back and expose your cat’s canine teeth.
4. In your right hand, hold the pill that is to be administered between your thumb and your middle finger. You will be using your index finger to pry down (open) your cat’s lower jaw.
5. Once you have your cat’s mouth open, quickly insert the medication, delivering the pill into the back of his mouth.
Remember, all of this will happen relatively quickly and the motions may take getting used to. If you don’t succeed the first time, that’s okay. Simply wait a moment before trying again.
To ensure your cat has actually swallowed the pill and isn’t just hiding it in his mouth, you can tilt his head up slightly and rub the lower part of his chin to help him swallow. You should actually be able to see him swallow. Watch him for a few minutes to make sure he doesn’t spit out the pill. If your cat doesn’t spit it out after a few minutes, you can probably be sure he did get the medication down successfully.
It’s only natural you may have questions when it comes to treating or caring for your pet at home. Beaverdale offers pet owners sound advice through a number of helpful how-to videos available on their website.
For more information, please contact the Beaverdale Veterinary Clinic by calling 519-658-4981.